- January 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (9)
- November 2011 (7)
- October 2011 (8)
- September 2011 (10)
- August 2011 (8)
- July 2011 (9)
- June 2011 (8)
- May 2011 (8)
- April 2011 (9)
- March 2011 (8)
- February 2011 (8)
- January 2011 (8)
- December 2010 (11)
- November 2010 (11)
- October 2010 (6)
- September 2010 (9)
- August 2010 (8)
- July 2010 (6)
- June 2010 (8)
- May 2010 (7)
- April 2010 (7)
- March 2010 (3)
- February 2010 (3)
- January 2010 (6)
- Corporate Sustainability
- EHR News
- EMR News
- Real Estate
Apple April Contest Being Wrong Best Reads on the Web Business Business Productivity Business Tips Business Travel Client Rentention Colorado Communication corporate security Corporate Sustainability Document Imaging Document Management Document Scanning eco-friendly EHR electronic medical records EMR Entrepreneurship Google + Government Document Scanning green office human resources Humor iPhone iPhone apps labor costs Leadership Management marketing Medical office organization organization Outsourcing planning business continuity Procrastination Reading Lists rural health care scanning 101 Simplicity Small Business time management Will it Scan
Great Mobile Apps for Small Business
We’ve talked about the power of creating your own mobile apps to build a deeper connection with your customers. Of course, there is another way mobile apps can help the small-business owner or manager: existing mobile applications to increase your productivity while you’re away from your desk. Many small-business bloggers have weighed in on their favorite apps for entrepreneurs—Entrepreneur, Fox Business, AOL Small Business, Intuit Small Business Blog, and Rod Kirby’s Success Center all offer their opinions. Thanks to mobile apps, you can do most of the work of running your business from anywhere. The choice of particular apps is up to you, but here’s a quick run-down of the possibilities:
- Project management—There are so many apps to choose from here, from simple lists to apps that follow specific task-management philosophies like “Getting Things Done.”
- Time tracking—To keep track of the time you spend for each client, try ClockIn or InerTrak.
- Expense tracking—Cashbook, Shoeboxed, and iXpenseIt offer different ways of tracking spending and receipts.
- Invoicing—Omni Invoice is a favorite for creating estimates and invoices on the spot.
- Accepting credit card payments—This is so important to entrepreneurs on the go, and app developers know it. There are many apps to choose from for this, including iTerminal, Intuit GoPayment, and wCharge. Each has a different format and fee structure.
- Viewing Microsoft Office documents—DocumentsToGo is the classic program, but you may also want to try QuickOffice, Zoho Mobile, or QuickOffice Connect Mobile Suite.
- Accessing your office computer—Consider LogMeIn or iTeleport. DropBox is a simple alternative if you just want to share large media files with your mobile device.
- Travel planning—FlightTrack Pro, BeatTheTraffic, and Taxi Magic all make business travel easier.
- Viewing and creating PDFs—The best of these apps lets you not only view PDFs, but edit and even create them from your mobile device. Check out GoodReader or JetCet PDF.
- Keeping up with web analytics—Wondering how your web site and social media campaigns are doing while you’re out of the office? It’s easy to check with AnalyticsApp.
- Capturing ideas and snippets of information—Evernote is the best known of these catch-all apps, which let you keep notes, pictures, linked files, and more, then sync it all across your devices.
- Backing up mobile data—Try Lookout or Sprite Backup to keep your data safe, even if your mobile device is lost or stolen.
Join a conversation, share, and save
Are you interested in making the most of your mobile devices for your small business? So is the community at HeadStartUp.com, a web site designed to help entrepreneurs find and share the best free and low-cost apps for their business lives. HeadStartUp.com links to both web apps and mobile apps, and most work on many different platforms, including iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, and Android.